rts-league.org

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Do you want a new forum account? Send us an e-mail with your desired nick and we'll get it done! We recommend using a secondary, yet still actively used e-mail address - we're an old web and forum after all, so to be on the safe side just in case :-)
(If the link doesn't work for you, right-click on it and save the e-mail address for use in your e-mail client)

#1 2016-04-23 17:00:58

nC_pedro
AoC Clan Operator nC

REC uploads

Hey,

i think everyone who has to upload rec's to the RTS-league page knows the stuggles one can have to upload the recs to the page (like not zipping the file or missing a line and having to start over again and filling in the complete form again ... and that for every single game). I'd love to see the upload-tool changed to make rec uploads easier. If thats not possible i'd like to make the suggestion to change the rules so that recs have to be uploaded to aoc-zone (maybe rts-l could get an extra forum there?). I realise that its nice to have everything rts-l related on one page and that the admins will have extra work to update the scores manually if recs are not uploaded here, but in my oppinion the rec upload tool is just a real pain in the ass  big_smile

#2 2016-04-23 22:26:53

robo
AoR Clan Operator Straya

Re: REC uploads

could you not just get the aoczone rec analyser added into rtsl somehow?

g'day

#3 2016-04-24 08:00:58

Ovenka
AoR Clan Operator CZ

Stop winning Pedro and you wont have a problem.

#4 2016-04-29 01:38:16

Black Adder
League Administrator

Hey pedro,

Sorry for longer time in responding - yes, there are issues, and the system is far from perfect hmm

It's because it has become quite dated by now, and we are unfortunately for a long time already facing a situation of running without a dedicated webmaster, severely limiting things we can do on the web, exactly like improving on the uploader and many other things - believe me, there are so many things we would like improved/done differently, but it all requires quite some amount of work, and that's unfortunately something we do not have available. We've attempted and still are attempting to get another webmaster, but it's proving more than hard, as you can see.

With that said, the problems you are mentioning are annoying, but at the same time very clearly stated every season in the Guides to the Season, which everyone should read every season, as they contain crucial information, exactly like how to upload the recorded games and others. So barring occasional mistakes, there shouldn't be much confusion as to how things work around here smile

Recs are also the key "resource" of RTS League, so they are definitely here to stay smile They serve the purpose of updating the scores, but they are also a reason to visit this web, which is something we aim to keep true - when (being optimistic here, so using this rather than if smile ) we are able to properly update our web to become as interactive as is usual for modern sites, this will prove crucial for keeping the site alive, and even without that, with the recs on our servers, we are able to supply them to the players without any dependence on anyone else, which is really important for multiple reasons.

Besides that it actually "helps" in keeping Clan Operators visiting the web, and also the scheduling forums. It has also over the time become a bit of a learning experience for some (especially new clans), as it points out mistakes or even omissions in the Player-Lists and such - every little nudge like this helps to make things go better overall smile However, we would like to have simpler rec uploading as well, with potential error messages if nicknames don't fit the Player-List and such, but, yet again, dev power required smile

With that said, we usually have RTSL rec forums at AoCZone as well, as is true now for this season, too (a bit late, but admins there were busy until now), but it is not the primary site to upload the games, just secondary if you feel you want to give your games more exposure than they are already getting.

And for robo about the AoCZone uploader here - well that would be sweet, but even if we could get that, which is no easy thing from my experience with other sites - uploaders are actually quite a prized possession, as they are far from simple to implement, especially of such level as there - it would yet again require quite a lot of custom plugging into our other systems, and that's not possible without extensive contribution from a webmaster hmm So unfortunately I'm not very optimistic currently hmm

Overall guys, if you knew of some webmaster or programmer who knows PHP, is responsible and, above all else, highly reliable and ethical, make sure to let me know, we would really love to move RTS League onto another level, as we have the groundworks more than ready, together with our community channels and the community itself smile

[nex]Black__Adder (@BlackAdderPlays)

"When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself." – Peter O'Toole
"The true measure of a hero is when a man lays down his life with the knowledge that those he saves... will never know." - The Outer Limits

Follow RTSL on Facebook

#5 2016-04-30 09:45:09

nC_Snyper1
AoR Clan Operator nC

I just uploaded our Playoff Games and the best group games on Aoczone. I think best would be upload games to both websites, so there bracket and everything working fine on this site and we got the rec uploader on aoczone smile
That would be definetly less work than changing the website 11

Last edited by nC_Snyper1 (2016-04-30 09:45:44)

#6 2016-04-30 10:12:35

robo
AoR Clan Operator Straya

but then people will complain about uploading twice, because they are lazy shits

g'day

#7 2016-04-30 11:42:38

poxo
League Staff & AoR Clan Operator ByT

robo wrote:

but then people will complain about uploading twice, because they are lazy shits

True, I'm a lazy ass man

#8 2016-04-30 12:59:41

nC_Snyper1
AoR Clan Operator nC

Just gibe a badge "best rec uploader" --> people will fight as hell for it!

#9 2016-04-30 13:06:43

poxo
League Staff & AoR Clan Operator ByT

nC_Snyper1 wrote:

Just gibe a badge "best rec uploader" --> people will fight as hell for it!

No, only 2 or 3 uploaders, probably Robo, you and someone else... but nothing will change for those who do the usual.
Having to do extra work wich isn't gratifying won't make the people do it better. An easier rec uploader would do it faster, but I can understand the problems with the web so for now the way is by getting a new web editor.

P.D. I have 0 idea about web editing.

Board footer

©Copyright 2007-2024 by RTS-League.com Hosting provided by Maximumdirect.net This page generated in 6 milliseconds.